Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) is usually a short term (8-20 sessions) structured approach (3 Stage – 9 Step Model) to couples therapy formulated in the early 80’s by Dr. Sue Johnson and Les Greenberg. Dr. Sue Johnson has further developed the model by including an attachment theory which helps to understand further what is happening in the couple’s relationship.
Goals of Emotionally Focused Therapy are to recognize, shift and expand key emotional responses in the couple, change the dysfunctional interactional patterns and initiate new ways of relating, which foster a more secure bond. The more secure you feel in the relationship, the easier it is to be truly yourself, which allows for maximum intimacy and connection. Secure attachment as well increases your ability to reflect on rather than react to situations. Focus in EFT treatment is on emotional engagement, your immediate experience and your experience of your partner’s responses, and on providing a corrective emotional experience for both of you.
Research studies find that 70-75% of couples in EFT treatment move from distress to recovery and approximately 90% show significant improvements.
Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples might be right for you if you answer YES to any of these questions:
- Do you want more fulfilling relationship?
- Do you need tools for better communication?
- Do you want to put an end to reoccurring fights?
- Do you want “true” intimacy that can last a lifetime?
- Do you want to feel more secure and safe in your relationship?
- Do you want to be seen and understood?
- Do you want to know how to better support your partner?
- Do you want to feel more passion?
- Do you want to feel deeper connection and love with your partner?
- Do you want to increase trust in your relationship?
To schedule a free 20-minute consultation call 415-255-2553 or email firstname.lastname@example.org